Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, May 12, 2023

Hitching a Ride

While driving along about a quarter-mile down the road after leaving my house, a blur of motion caught my attention at the bottom of my windshield.  For an instant, I thought a leaf had swept across the driver’s side wiper blade, but when I glanced down for a closer look, the head of a chipmunk popped up from under the edge of the hood.

I immediately stopped my car at the center of the country road.  “You need to jump off!” I yelled to the chipmunk.

The chipmunk didn’t move.

I found my phone and snapped a couple photographs.  “You need to go,” I repeated.  Thinking I could urge the critter to leave by freaking him out, I turned on the windshield wipers.

The chipmunk vanished under the hood.

Reluctantly, I jumped out of the car and opened the hood.  Even before I had the hood fully raised, I saw the chipmunk shoot out off the edge of the road and dive into a patch of sagebrush.

“And stay out, you little brat!” I called after him.



The Hitcher

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment