Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Lake Mary Ronan (Part 2)

As mentioned in yesterday’s blog, Desiree, Scott St. Clair, and I spent a full day and a partial day fishing Lake Mary Ronan. One thing can be said with certainty: the lake supports a thriving population of perch. We caught many dozens of them but kept only the larger ones and a few smaller fish wounded in the process of catching them. It must be noted that Desiree landed most of the larger perch.

In addition to catching perch, we reeled in several other species. Scott caught a modest (ten-inch) trout. He also pulled up, of all things, a western painted turtle that had latched onto his bait. I quickly removed the hook from the turtle as Desiree snapped a picture, and then I plunked the thing back into the water. I have never seen anyone catch a turtle before.

Desiree landed one small bass. She also pulled off a feat I have never seen: she managed to draw three crayfish up from the depths on her line. The last one clung so greedily to her bait that I managed to take a photograph with my smartphone before flinging it back into the lake.

Finally, Scott and I also caught a couple of sunfish. They are pretty frisky little fighters and rather cute to look at, but we released them as quickly as we caught them.

I am sharing a few photographs of our various catches.

Sunfish

Desiree with a Perch

Desiree with a Crayfish

Western Painted Turtle

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment