Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

My Kick-Around Shoes

It’s a strange point of fact that the older and more worn a shirt is, the better it fits, and the more comfortable it feels. My brother-in-law, Terry, wore one particular sweatshirt until it more or less rotted off him. I gave up one of my favorite jackets when only one sleeve fell off.

I presently have a favorite pair of well-worn “kick-around” shoes. By kick-around shoes, I mean a pair I like to use for rough duty, for getting in mud, or kicking around in the dirt. I wore them yesterday for a possibly muddy and assuredly rough excursion into the mountains. Before heading for the high country, I dropped into my dentist's office for a scheduled cleaning. When I sat in the chair and the hygienist brought my head down and feet up, I said, “Never mind my shoes. I have money for a new pair, but these are good for tumbling around in the sticks, which is where I am headed after we finish up here.”

“I get that,” the hygienist responded.

Sadly, my shoes are almost worn to the point of needing to be replaced. They have reached the duct tape stage, which is never good.


My Kick-Around Shoes

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment