Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, August 20, 2023

The Cat with Nine Lives

The story of the stray cat has its ending, but not the one I had hoped for. After a few false starts, the family hoping the stray might be theirs arrived at my house yesterday afternoon to see the cat. A quick glance confirmed the diminutive kitty was not theirs. Put simply: "No, not our cat."

I had already mentioned my intent to take the cat to the humane society shelter if they didn’t take it. They, a mother and daughter, kindly offered to take the cat to the shelter since they would be driving near it on their way home, and they had a cat carrier with them.

Here is the real story. Cats do have nine lives. I have lived with and loved eight various cats in my life. As I struggled to force this ninth cat (one that lived with me for only a week) into the carrier, I felt all eight of those other cats squirming and joining the fight against me. All nine lives now pushed back against me as I caged the little female.

None of them wanted to go.

Eventually, the car carrying the mother, daughter, and cat in a carrier sped across the open prairie, chasing a self-made dust devil across the bleached grass, heading for town.

I never gave the cat a name.

“Nine,” I thought as I turned away with tears in my eyes.


Nine

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment