Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Feng Shui Ceiling

After taking a break from working on my master bedroom ceiling project, I am diving back in. At present, I am fastening a layer of OSB (wafer board) to my framing. This is my favorite part of remodeling. At this point, I am able to enclose trinkets, notes, and all manner of goodies in the hollow spaces I have created with my framing. I started hiding things in my house when I first constructed it in 1991 and have done so many times since.

I stuffed a sheet of stamps from the Philippines and a copy of my book, Taking Measure (which features a photograph of Desiree on the cover), inside one section of the ceiling.

Back in the mid-1990s, Uyen undertook efforts to apply Feng Shui to our house. Feng Shui, for the unfamiliar, is a traditional Chinese practice that involves arranging one's environment to harmonize with natural energy flows in order to promote well-being and balance. Uyen incorporated the five elements (wood, fire, earth, metal, water) in decor throughout the house to create a harmonious environment. She placed mirrors strategically to expand space and reflect light. She hung a chime and a coin at our front door. She also dangled a cut crystal above the door to the master bathroom. Rather than removing the crystal to accommodate the new ceiling, I have shortened the monofilament line upon which it hangs so it will remain in place in the original ceiling space.

Stamp Sheet from Manila

Taking Measure Book

Doorway Crystal (Before)


Doorway Crystal (After)

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment