Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, October 12, 2023

New Technology

Adopting new technology can prove difficult.  My transition from a flip-phone to a smartphone, for example, proved fairly long and often frustrating.  With the camera, flashlight, email, internet browsing capabilities, and standard phone features, I referred to my device as my smarter-than-me-phone.  My interactions with the smartphone saw me incessantly mis-poking at the screen, swiping this way and that.  I was constantly turning the device to change the screen view.

The transition to texting more frequently also proved a struggle.  To this day, I tap all messages out using only my right index finger.  I am incapable of the lightning fast, two-thumb method adopted by more nimble folks.  Early on, one of my buddies overcame his texting battle by using a voice-to-text app.  While this proved handy for him, it became a new frustration for me.  He often dictated his messages and then fired them off to me without checking for accuracy in translation.  I ended up with some strange messages, stuff like this: “Aliens have landed, I will bring baked beans.”  Or this: “Mute us.  We will hack Miss Helena.”

Translation on the last message: “Meet us.  We will hike Mount Helena.”

Fortunately, my buddies texting has improved.  But I am still one-fingering my way into an uncertain smartphone future.

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment