Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, October 9, 2023

Peaches (Life Goes On)

A progressive disease gradually robbed Peaches, the dog, of her sight. Somewhere near a year ago, my sister Paula made the difficult but advisable decision to have the dog’s eyes surgically removed before the disease essentially caused them to burst, which was the likely final outcome.

Paula was initially horrified by the prospect of having her dog’s eyes removed. I thought such a thing might be an act of cruelty. But, having now spent a few days with Daisy, I am impressed with how well the dog is doing. It helps, I suppose, that Peaches spent the previous 12 or so sighted years in the same house. Watching the dog maneuver around the house, as well as throughout my sister’s small fenced yard, you would not suspect she is totally blind. She rarely bumps into anything. She is neither tentative nor faltering in any of her movements. Most importantly, Peaches seems content and utterly settled back into the same routines she entertained before losing her eyes.

Life goes on.


Peaches

Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. I miss my dogs here in the PH. On the other hand I made the decision not to leave any dogs or kids behind that can’t fend for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also miss having cats, but they necessarily tie you down, or at a minimum make you feel guilty when you leave them behind.

      Delete