Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, October 5, 2023

The Last Man Standing

LED lighting sources at the consumer level didn’t really make a splash until about fifteen years ago. In the time since, they have gotten vastly more efficient, less expensive, and offer almost limitless variety in color and control. I began a serious effort to replace my fluorescent and incandescent light sources ten years ago.

I am down to one incandescent bulb in my house. The last man standing is a bulb in a bedside lamp in the master bedroom. The lamp functions on a triac-controlled dimmer.

The bulb is a 150-watt behemoth. An equivalent LED replacement would consume a mere 20 watts. But I have made a firm decision to let this lamp burn on. I like the way the triac dims the bulb down to the smallest candleflame of light. And, as a typically finicky electrician, I feel somewhat obligated to resist change just a little.

Last Man Standing

Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Did you know that LED color bulbs get their color by turning on and off by certain frequencies? Another random YouTube documentary. It’s kind of weird how YT knows I have eclectic tastes in videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not not know that. LEDs have certainly changed the landscape of lighting!

      Delete