Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Rainbow Rocks

No age limitation exists for collecting rocks. Moreover, I am convinced that the practice is more instinctive than learned. This is something we are born to do and equipped to continue doing for a long time. Collecting pretty rocks is big fun.

Yesterday, Desiree and I took Elias (preschool), Mackenna (third grade), and their parents hunting for rocks on a wandering trek down to the lakeshore from my house. At the lakeshore, we skipped an appropriate number of rocks and gleaned a few “rainbow rocks” from an exposed shoulder of banded shale there.

Once we got back to the house, we spread out the day’s collection on the sunroom floor so that each of the kids could pick a handful to take home. If the children are anything like me, this day will etch a lifelong memory. I can remember the day that surrounds almost every rock in my collection. One thing is certain: Desiree and I had tremendous fun on the excursion.

I have posted a photograph of some rainbow rocks and another of Desiree sorting with the kids.

Rainbow Rocks

Sorting out the Best Rocks

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment