Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

A Bad Year for Termites

A friend of mine lives in Eastern Montana.  We talk on the phone on a fairly regular basis.  While talking yesterday, he says to me: “Guess what?”

“What?” I asked.

 “I have termites.”

“Termites?  In Montana?”

“Yes.”

“That’s weird.  What part of your house are they eating?”

“That’s the strange part.  My basement is made of concrete block and that’s where they are.  They’re eating the wood paneling down there.  I’m getting an exterminator to take care of them?

“How much will that cost?

“Seventeen-hundred dollars.”

“What?”  I literally pulled the phone from my face and stared at for a second, just like you see in movies.  I pulled the phone back to my face.  “So, do they spray gold at termites to kill them?   That’s a lot.”

My friend went on to explain how they drill holes four feet down all around the house.  He also told me the treatment was a month out.  “I guess it’s a bad year for termites,” he added.

Given the cost of treatment to rid a house of them, I am proposing there is no such thing as a good year for termites. 

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment