Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, April 3, 2021

Knee-Deep in Spring

I drove up to my cabin yesterday.  My first official visit of the season.  I could not drive all the way in.  Snow remains knee-deep over much of the landscape there.

In spite of the snow, spring is having its way.  The pussy willows along the creek, though still standing in snow themselves, have put forth their tufts.  More surprising, I saw two mourning cloak butterflies flapping out across the mostly snow-covered meadow.

We make ‘em tough here in Montana.

Adult mourning cloak butterflies overwinter in a frozen condition and emerge when the days are sunny and warm enough.  They will eat tree sap, fermenting fruit, and feed on flower nectar (once flowers emerge).



 Pussy Willow



Mourning Cloak (Photo: Pavel Kirillov)

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment