Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, April 28, 2021

My Strange Fondness for Flies

I live with a cat, which is the next closest thing to living alone.  I think living without regular human interaction has made me a little goofy.  For one thing, I have developed something of a friendly relationship with some flies in my house.

Actually, I have grown fond of the flies.

They are not house flies.  These are super-tiny fellas.  A dozen of these flies could carve out a grain of rice to make a dugout canoe and then all comfortably fit inside the canoe on a float trip down the Smith River.

A limited population of the flies has been living (and breeding) in my house for at least five years now.  They are here winter and summer.  I might see one every two or three days.

In the last year or so, I have started talking to the mini-flies.  “How is it going, buddy?” I might ask when one hovers near my morning coffee.  “How is the fam?”

The little flies do a lot of hovering.

They also seem to be attracted to my computer.  “What do you guys eat?” I asked one the other day when it landed near the “delete” button on my computer keyboard.

I didn’t expect an answer and I never got one.

Thing is, it’s nice to have a fly to talk to, even if I do all the talking.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment