Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, July 15, 2022

Masterworks

“Desiree,” I announced, “You need to go to the bathroom.”

Desiree offered up a suspicious glance in my direction in response.

First of all, in the Philippines (Desiree’s homeland) such rooms are called neither bathroom nor restroom.  They are referred to as a “comfort room” or “CR,” for short.  Secondly, Desiree will not use a public bathroom if she can avoid it.  She is mistrustful regarding the cleanliness of public facilities.

“I’m good,” she eventually responded to me.

“You are great, actually,” I said.  “But you still need to go see at the women’s bathroom here.  Even if you don’t need to use it.”

Desiree and I were standing just off the rotunda in the Montana State Capitol while having this exchange.  I wanted to see if she would be as shocked as I was the first time I entered one of the restrooms in the capitol building.

Though skeptical, Desiree plodded off and pushed through the bathroom door.

She remained inside for a long time.

When Desiree eventually exited the bathroom, a steady smile bejeweled her face.  As she approached, I asked: “Did you take pictures?”

Desiree’s smile broadened.  She held forth her phone, nodding.

“The men’s room is also beautiful.,” I told her.  “I can show you.  Nobody is in there right now.”  I led Desiree to the door of the men’s bathroom and propped open the door so she could peer inside.  She quickly snapped a few images.

Posted today are a series of images lifted from Desiree’s phone.  Crazy as this may sound, I highly recommend you visit one of the bathrooms just off the rotunda if you get a chance.  They are stunning masterworks of marble and tile and clean light.



Women’s Bathroom



Men’s Bathroom #1



Men’s Bathroom #2



Desiree Bathroom Selfie

Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. As much time as I spent in there over the years, from the last remodel as a worker to being there as a lobbyist I think the heated seats are the nicest touch, but honestly never gave it a second thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always struck by how clean the bathrooms are.

    ReplyDelete