Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, July 23, 2022

Our Night Sky

Long beyond midnight, I woke to darkness in my cabin.  Feeling restless, I swung out from bed and went to glance out the sliding glass door at the elevated deck.

Wow!

All the stars stood atop the forest of black trees and mountain flanks before me.  Somehow, I had forgotten about the stars.  Here in Montana, we have a rare clarity of view in our night skies—something we often take for granted.

Many years ago, I accompanied a city kid from the Midwest on a night of partying around Helena.  Our last stop of the night found us at a fairly remote home on the edge of the Helena Valley.  As we stepped outside to leave late in the night, the kid stopped in his tracks.  “Wow!” he said.  “Look at that!”

“Look at what?” I asked.

“The stars.  They are so bright!  And there are so many.  Is it always like this?”

“Yeah, of course,” I told him.

“That’s something.”

Upon returning to bed last night, I found Desiree awake.  “Come with me for a second,” I urged her.

“What for?” she asked.

“I want to show you something outside.”

Though skeptical, Desiree followed me out toward the sliding door at the deck.  “Step out and look up,” I urged her.

Desiree leaned out the door and studied the array of stars above us.  “Wow,” she uttered.  “Is it like this at home, too?”

“Yep.  As we head into winter you will see a lot more night and a lot more stars.”

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment