Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, July 11, 2022

Falling in the Correct Direction

Perhaps you have seen the YouTube video of the guy successfully felling a huge Douglass fir tree in the five-foot space between two buildings.  Rest assured, that would never be me.  If I tried that, I would somehow manage to drop the tree on both buildings.  I constantly misread the lean on trees.  I don’t pay attention to the directional pull of upper branches, et cetera, et cetera.

Fairly regularly, trees I knock down tip in the exact opposite direction I am aiming for.  This is why, last fall, I called a couple better sawyers to help me drop several trees threatening my cabin.

On my last trip to the cabin, I dropped something near a dozen dead-standing lodgepole and fir.  Surprisingly, all but one tree fell exactly where I wanted them and I didn’t wipe out any living trees I intended to save.  My one failure, a sub-alpine fir, possessed a lean I could not overcome.  Fortunately, the tree whumped down in a harmless direction of its own preference.

Today, I am sharing a photo and video (thanks to Desiree) of me felling on of the larger trees on a slope above the cabin. 



Photo of Me Sawing the Tree


Video of the Tree Dropping

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment