Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Our Most Gruesome Flower

I learned something from my friend, Patti, while we were exploring Tizer Gardens last week.  When we chanced upon a sticky purple geranium (one of my favorite wildflowers) my friend, Patti, informed me that sticky purple geraniums are carnivores.

Not long after returning home from the gardens, I queried the internet to learn more about my purple wildflower.

Formally known as Geranium viscosissimum, sticky purple geranium is fairly widely distributed throughout the western states and locally abundant in many places.  Geranium is a perennial that blooms throughout our summer months.

Most interestingly, as Pattie noted, sicky purple geranium is protocarnivorous.  The plant it is able to dissolve protein, such as insects, that become trapped on its leaf surfaces.  The geranium then absorbs nitrogen derived from the protein.  This somewhat gruesome trick allows sticky purple geranium to survive in nutrient-poor environments.

I find sticky purple geranium throughout my mountain property.   Posted today is a photograph of a geranium only a few feet from my cabin door.


 

Sticky Purple Geranium

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment