Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

A Day with Dinosaurs, Part 1

I drove my father crazy when he took me hunting.  While we were, on paper, out there stalking deer, I was always hunting for rocks.  By the end of most hunting trips, I had both my backpack and his filled with rocks I had collected.

More than once he threatened to quit taking my hunting if I didn’t stop looking for rocks.

Well, Dad, I am still hunting for rocks to this day.

Just yesterday, Desiree and I entered rockhound Valhalla.  We skirted and ascended the rock-strewn slopes of seemingly endless badlands where dinosaurs perished millions of years ago and now offer up their dark bones as fossils.

Not just dinosaurs.  Scatterings of petrified wood are common along the inclines and within the rainwash notches.

I can say in all sincerity: I had one of the best days of my life scouring the badlands for fossils.

The landscape is beautiful and otherworldly.  Gravity seems to have lost its way among the capstone formations.  Wind and water have carved weird holes and patterns into the sandstone.  Layers and extrusions of iron draw sharply contrasting patterns within the pale stone shoulders.  The sky, filled with smoke from fires in the western half of Montana (and beyond), only added to the surreal feel of the place. 

And yes, yes, yes, we found dinosaur bones.



The Sun Yields a Bow of Light



Desiree, Stacie, and Eric



Desiree and a Hoodoo Formation

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment