Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Christmas in September

The “Ber” months are upon us. You know: September, October, November, December.

While this may not be a huge deal for most of us, if you live with someone from the Philippines, you need to brace for the Ber months.  On the islands of the Philippines, all the Ber months are set aside for celebrating Christmas.  You may see decorations going up in public places as early as late August.  By mid-September, a flourish of Christmas decorations will appear in stores and private settings alike.

Yesterday, Desiree asked me to help hang two Capiz lanterns.

“If you stop standing on my flowers when you water yours, I will do anything you want.” I suggested.

Actually, I said “okay,” but I wanted to say that.

Desiree brought the Capiz lanterns with her when she came here in May.  Capiz lanterns, if you are unfamiliar, are elaborate Christmas lights fashioned from windowpane oyster shells.  They are as lovely and “islandy’ as you get when celebrating Christmas.

This morning, I woke the Christmas on the islands.



Capiz Lantern in the Sunroom

Video of a Lantern at Our Bay Window

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment