Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, September 12, 2022

Nigeria Donkey Penises Seized

The headline above stopped me in my tracks.  Naturally, I had to drop in and read the story.

A few days ago, 16 sacks of donkey penises were seized from smugglers at the international airport in Lagos, Nigeria.  The penises, which are used in traditional Chinese medicine, were bound for market in Hong Kong.

The shadowy market for Nigerian donkey penises and skins is broad enough to be diminishing the donkey population to a point where they are threatened with extinction.  Lawmakers in Nigeria have passed laws prohibiting the international sales of donkey skins and penises to save the animals.

Rest assured; I am no threat to the donkeys.  I prefer my medicine in the form of tiny, blandly-colored pills chased by a shot of Scotch.   

Mitchell Hegman

Source: AP

No comments:

Post a Comment