Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

A Day with Dinosaurs, Part 2

Our dinosaur bone hunting experience consisted of two parts.  One part involved exploring around the badlands seeking bones exposed by recent heavy rains.  The second part involved clawing our way up a loose slope to dig under a ledge of sandstone where Eric, Stacie, and other volunteers involved with operating and promoting Earth Science Foundation in Roundup, Montana, have been carefully unearthing bones.  They have, at that very site, collected several bones, including two identified as have come from the first cousin of T. rex.

Today, we will talk about our time on the ledge.

Once we ascended to the ledge, Eric and Stacie provided us with trowels, flat-blade screwdrivers, brushes, and what looked like tools for picking at your teeth.  Using the implements, we carefully poked and pried apart what I can best describe as fractured layers of soft stone.  As I worked my way down through the layers, I wondered how many thousand years an inch or two of depth might represent.  The site we were digging appears to have been—seventy-some million years ago—a muddy bog or river bend where the bones of various dinosaurs collected and were locked in mud.  

A few minutes in to my work, I popped a thin layer of rock free and a section of bone appeared before me.  At about the same time, nearby, Stacie exposed the end of a bone.  Once we found our bones, the work slowed considerably.  We carefully picked around the bones to break up the rock entombing them.  We applied a special water-based glue to visible cracks in the bones to stabilize the bones as we worked around them.

To make a long story short, we eventually freed the bones and gave them over to Eric.  The bones will be further stabilized by volunteers at Earth Science Foundation.  Eventually, the best finds will be donated to the Musselshell Valley Historical Museum in Roundup.

The experience of burrowing into a soft stone wall to find a bone and then slowly scratching around the bone to free it is mind-altering in a way I cannot fully describe.  I wondered what manner of dinosaur produced the bone.  I tried to picture the landscape then.  The landscape around me was strange.  But the history is stranger yet.


 

Me and the Bone I Unearthed



My Dino Bone Up Close



Applying Glue to Stacie’s Bone



Desiree Watching Eric and Stacie Work

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment