Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Altered Skyline

Helena, Montana, offers an impressive skyline. Nestled against a Rocky Mountain backdrop, four architectural features rise prominently above the heart of the community. First, there is the Montana State Capitol building. West of there, closer to Last Chance Gulch, a trio of features stands tall: the Old Fire Tower, the minaret on the Helena Civic Center, and, above all, the Cathedral of Saint Helena.

On a visit to downtown Helena the other day, Desiree and I found the skyline altered. The southern tower of the cathedral is presently fully encased in scaffolding and is undergoing an extensive restoration.

My father found high-voltage transmission lines festooned across hills and mountains beautiful. While I find transmission lines impressive, I cannot quite reach "beautiful" in my thinking. The scaffolding erected around the cathedral tower is a similar construct. Impressive for certain. From some angles, the scaffolding verges on beautiful. On a trip to downtown Helena, Desiree and I walked near the cathedral for a closer look. I am sharing an image from just below the signature landmark.

The Cathedral in Scaffolding

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment