Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, September 24, 2023

Fall Rain

Here in my corner of the Prickly Pear Valley, annual rainfall stumbles and falls flat on its face before reaching 12 inches. That’s pretty sparse for moisture, especially when you consider the average annual rainfall across the U.S. mainland measures in at around 30 inches. Montana, as a whole, ranks as the 6th driest state in the contiguous collection, capturing a mere 15.2 inches of moisture annually. At the other end of the scale, Louisiana is the rainiest of the lower 48 states, raking in some 56.9 inches of rainfall (4.7 inches monthly).

I bring this up in light of the rain I recently captured in my rain gauge. Yesterday morning, I found nearly 1½ inches in my gauge, all collected in the two days previous. That’s a lot for us and it's a welcome start for fall, which officially arrived just yesterday. In addition to making the plants happy, the rain cleared the air of smoke from nearby prescribed burns.

After the Rains

My Rain Capture

Mitchell Hegman

Sources: https://a-z-animals.com, https://www.currentresults.com

No comments:

Post a Comment