Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

My Latest MLM

A few years back, I wrote about CLMs. CLM is the acronym for “career-limiting maneuver,” which occurs when you make a serious mistake at work. Say, for example, you are an accountant and you drop a bunch of zeros on a tax return. That's a CLM.

Late yesterday afternoon, I made an MLM, a “marriage-limiting maneuver.” As you might now imagine, an MLM occurs when you do something egregious to your spouse. I didn't do direct harm to Desiree, thankfully, but I did harm some of her plants. If you know anything about Filipinas, harming a favored plant is hideous at best.

Iris flowers have become a particular favorite for Desiree since her arrival here in Montana. Desiree spent part of yesterday afternoon carefully prepping the ground and then planting some iris bulbs she recently purchased. She planted the bulbs alongside the driveway in a spot we both deemed safe from harm. Not an hour after she planted the iris, while wrangling my truck around on the driveway, I dropped a front tire off the concrete drive and mashed the iris deep into the ground.

An MLM for certain. Fortunately, Desiree has a soft disposition and recognizes my tendency to be a moron. Rather than getting angry with me, she quickly performed emergency procedures to dig up and replant the bulbs, which seemed without serious injury.

I suppose there is a lesson somewhere in this, but that will be of no help when the next MLM comes along.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment