Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, September 11, 2023

Creepy Albeit Impressive

Some time ago (specifically at my birth), we established my distaste for spiders. I object, first, to the number of legs they have. In my estimation, 'creepy' starts with six legs. Spiders have eight. Additionally, spiders are ruthless predators with fangs. Some spiders are poisonous. Not good.

And then we have the webs spiders make. That's another creepy thing, maybe more so than having eight legs. Just in writing this, I shudder, feeling that sensation of walking into a web, the strands tugging at you in their little macabre way.

Yesterday, I discovered in my garage the most massive spider web I have ever found. The web, constructed by what we call a cookie spider (known as a cat-faced spider to others), spanned an area of 5 feet in one direction and 4 feet in the other. The entire window next to where I park my truck was encased in a web.

I quickly swept the web and spider up into a broom and carried the whole mess outside. The spider remained unharmed and is free to carry on outside.

The Spider Web

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment