Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, September 17, 2023

Dirt Behind My Ears

I don’t think my mother had a sixth sense exactly, but she always seemed one step ahead of me when I was a kid.  I didn’t get away with any malfeasance.  One thing that regularly mystified me was how she always knew when I had dirt behind my ears.  Granted, I was a filthy kid.  I spent a lot of time digging and flinging dirt all around the place, but getting dirt behind your ears takes real effort.    

I can recall tromping inside the house at the end of the day and having Mother immediately send me to wash up in the bathroom.  As soon as I reappeared, she would ask, “Did you wash behind your ears?”

“Yes.”

“No, you didn’t”

“I did.”

“Go get a damp washcloth and come back here.”

You know how this story ends.  Every time I came back, Mother quickly scrubbed behind my ears and then showed me the cloth.  “See here?  Dirt.”

Every time I looked at the cloth, there it was: dirt.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment