Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Richard Brautigan Versus Feeding the Birds

Richard Brautigan proposed writing at least one poem for everyone.  I suppose that might have been somewhat ambitious.  And, frankly, not everyone appreciates poetry.

I am more modest in my thinking.  My plan is to feed any birds that find my front yard.  Each day, I broadcast seeds across the ground for the mourning doves and jays.  I fill my birdfeeder with chipped sunflower seeds.  Crossbills and house finches use the feeder.  Chickadees take seeds from my hands.       

I am mostly satisfied with my work on feeding the birds.

In 1982, I spent a few afternoons and evenings drinking beer with Brautigan in Bozeman, Montana.  We talked about writing—poetry included.  Wallace Stevens wrote a poem entitled Poetry Is a Destructive Force.  The last line of the poem is this: “It can kill a man.”

Stevens proved correct.  Richard Brautigan commuted suicide in 1984.  He was, at the time, 49 years old and a writer published in some 30 languages. 

Poetry kills.

Feeding the birds is impractical, but is does not kill.  And even though I am harmless, the birds scatter if I get too close.  I think of Brautigan as they do.      

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment