Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, May 16, 2021

The War of the Worlds

I started watching a strange new Netflix series called Love Death + Robots.   The series consists of a collection of animated short stories.  Some animations are relatively humorous.   Others are graphic tales of horror.  A few are dripping with sex.  The animations also range from cartoonishly rendered to seemingly impossibly realistic.

All of the stories are strange, but I find myself enjoying most of them.  I appreciate the originality and absurdity allowed by the animations.  I am, in particular, astounded by how lifelike some of the human animations are.  The line between reality and fantasy is being erased.

Following one particularly brutal but realistically rendered episode, I had to stop watching for a while.  I was a little rattled.  I thought about how, in 1938, Orson Welles caused a real-life panic with a radio broadcast of “The War of the Worlds,” a radio dramatization about Martians invading New Jersey.  Some people tuning in to listen to the program thought the invasion was real.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment