Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Uyen Hegman, Ten Years Gone

The Mayday tree let me down.  I had hoped the tree would be in full bloom for this day, of all possible days.

No such luck.

Ten years ago, on this calendar day, Uyen left us behind.  I had hoped the tree would see fit to celebrate her life in flowers.

The Mayday tree is big now, but it was no more than a pliable stick when we brought it home from the nursery crosswise in the back seat of Uyen’s car.   We worked together to plant the spindly thing.  That, almost thirty years ago—nearly half of my life ago.

Though the Mayday tree has failed me, I have my good memories and images of Uyen painted by light.

Today, I share three of those:



Uyen on the day she became a U.S. citizen (July 3, 1986)



Uyen and her catch on the coast near San Diego (1987)



Uyen fishing “her” creek (June 25, 2002)

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment