Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, May 8, 2021

The Mayday Tree Problem

I am having problems with my Mayday tree.  For one thing, the tree is late in blooming.  Yesterday, the very first handful of blossoms opened up on a couple low branches.  Normally, the Mayday tree is filled with blossoms by this date.

But my biggest problem is memories.  We are only four days from what will mark ten years since my Uyen passed.  Even though I am now in a deeply satisfying relationship (although long-distance at the moment) with the most beautiful woman in the world, the ten-year mark has a certain added weight to it.

I don’t know why.

On Uyen’s last good day, I eased her into a wheelchair and pushed her out into the sunshine near the Mayday tree.  The tree was puffy with white blossoms and filled with bees.  The air pleasantly perfumed.

Sweet, sweet spring.

This year, I have thought about that last good day each time I stepped outside to check on the tree’s progress.

Ten years is a lot longer and a lot shorter time that you might think, and soon the tree will bloom in full.



First Mayday Blossoms

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment