Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, May 17, 2021

Along the Creek

After helping my brother-in-law load his truck with cordwood sawn from two previously felled trees along the meadow at my cabin property, I wandered about in the sunshine.  I appreciate the sun this time of year.  Full sunlight is pleasant in the month of May.  It feels like a warm cheek pressed against me.

In my wandering, I found a small patch of snow still reaming on the shadow-held side of my cabin.  Maybe not so surprising a swatch remains when you consider how snow, shed from the cabin roof, reaches a depth of five or six feet by late winter.

I also found slews of glacier lilies where the sun has had time to poke around with the most urgency.   The lilies are pretty but exceedingly hardy specimens.  They are capable of shouldering up through snow if called to do so.

My walk along the creek was most interesting.  The beavers have been active this spring.  They constructed a series of small dams in the upper half of my meadow.  The dams have created calm terraces of water in many places.

In the end, all things are reduced to needing sun and water.



Glacier Lily



Last of the Snow Beside my Cabin



One of Many Beaver Dams on the Creek



An Arm of the Creek Extending Across the Meadow

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment