Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, May 31, 2021

Cabin Wildflower Report

I am happy to report that the wildflowers at my cabin are thriving this spring. 

There existed a measure of concern for them on my part.

Last fall, an adjacent land owner and I hired a contractor to spray weeds on our properties.  As much as I try to avoid using chemicals to control anything in nature, I didn’t feel I had another choice.  Over the last few years, spotted knapweed, has been marching hard against my wildflowers.  If given an opportunity, knapweed will soon create an ever-expanding monoculture that shoulders aside and soon wipes out most native flowers.

That’s not tenable in Mitch-world.

“When you spray the weeds,” I told the sprayer last fall, “try your darndest not to hit my flowers.  They are the biggest reason you are here.”

Yesterday, I and my good neighbor joined together and patrolled our properties to see if any knapweed was emerging and, at the same time, see if the native species were doing okay.

Though some collateral damage did occur, most of the flowers are fine and the knapweed appears to have had its butt handed to itself.

Posted are a few of findings from our wandering.



Fairy Slipper Orchid



Glacier Lily



Indian Paintbrush



Smooth Yellow Violet



Twinberry Blossoms

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment