Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, May 15, 2021

My Strange Passenger

I am willing to kill invasive weeds.  They are weeds.  They are invading my country.  They don’t scream.  I can do it.

Beyond weeds, I struggle with killing stuff.

As a kid I was filled from head to toe with bloodlust, but all of that drained from me as the years drew on.  I am not talking about hunting.  I understand the need and validity of that.  I am talking about killing simply because a critter has transgressed me in some small way.

I try to allow room for most every living thing around me.  I won’t kill a rattlesnake just because it’s a rattlesnake.  If I find a bug inside my house, I try to catch it and then release it outside.  All of this might go a long way toward explain what happened at 4:07 AM yesterday morning.

Over recent weeks, mice have been making their way into my house.  I caught two them in live traps just last week.  After catching them, I marched them out onto the prairie in front of my house and released them.

I woke early yesterday morning and, upon stepping into the kitchen to throw together a batch of coffee, noticed I had caught another mouse.  And then I got to thinking about releasing this one.  I have not been taking the mice very far from my house.  What if the same mouse has been working its way back?

After my coffee started evolving, I grabbed the live trap.  “Well, buddy,” I said to the mouse inside,” You and I will be going for a ride in my new automobile.”

Three minutes later the mouse (inside his trap on the passenger seat) and I were speeding away from my house on our country road.

At the intersection where my spur meets the main road, about ¼-mile from my house, I stopped, grabbed the live trap, and carried it out into the juniper and sage.  “This is good country for a mouse,” I announced.  I opened the trap and shook the mouse free.  “Have a weird day,” I called out as the mouse zig-zagged out into the dark landscape.      

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment