Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Homewrecker

Birds can be lowdown, dirty bastards.  I have long known the Corvidae family is filled with birds willing to bluster and bully.  Members of this family include ravens, jays, and magpies.

And then we have cowbirds.  These sons-a-bitches, displace eggs from the nests of other bird species and replace them with their eggs so the other birds will raise and care for them.

Until recently, I considered woodpeckers a nuisance in only a marginal sense.  They made a bit of noise at times.  That changed this spring.  About a month ago, a particular (bastardish) northern flicker decided it might be fun to the rap-ap-ap-ap-ap-ap-ap-ap against the sheathing I exposed on my house for the purpose of attaching my new sunroom.

Every few days, usually around 7:00 AM, the flicker takes a few raps against the house.

I rush outside and curse at him.

While all of this has been going on, I have enjoyed watching a pair of bluebirds flying in and out of the nesting box I fixed to a post just in front of my house.  They have been getting the nest inside the box in spiffed-up for a new brood.

No more.

They are gone, thanks to the northern flicker.

Following are two photographs of what the flicker did to the bluebird box.



Left Side



Front and Right Side

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment