Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, December 5, 2021

Class Connections

Last Thursday, the “boys” from my eighth-grade class of 1970 gathered for something of a reunion at the Missouri River Brewing Company in East Helena, Montana.

Most of us are retired now.  Seeing everyone together in one spot again was remarkable.  These people are not just my friends and classmates—they represent the stuff my life has been made of.

Here is a small sampling of my connection to my classmates:

  • My father married Scott’s mother and, for a time, we were brothers.
  • Scott, Mark S., and Tom R. helped me build my house in 1991.
  • I lived with Mike for two or so years while we were bachelors.
  • Brent, Tom J., and Les all taught me the value of a constant smile.
  • Rob once gave me, of all things, a live owl he had captured.  We also performed a middle school magic show together.
  • Tom C. was my immediate next-door neighbor for the first few years of my marriage to Uyen.
  • Dave’s house was our party house throughout high school.  Dave also taught me something about perseverance.
  • Mark D. and Jim have shown me how to succeed on divergent career/business paths.
  • A couple years after high school, Curt picked up me and my friend Vince as we stood on an interstate highway on-ramp in Missoula, Montana seeking a ride back to Helena.  We also share roots in the western fringes of Montana.
  • Rocky constantly stirred a bit of mischief so the rest of us didn’t have to.
  • In Greg and Marvin, I saw grace in all dealings.


Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. The owl and the magic show - I remember them both! We had -0- stage presence, and were so petrified we couldn't speak - just walked out and did some stuff, and the parents & teachers had to figure out what we did, lol. I had a handkerchief that turned inside out and changed color when I pulled it through my fist, and you had a candle made from an apple you lit, blew out, and ate. :-D Some other stuff, but those are the only two I remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and we had a trick card that changed it's face. Haha. Fun to think back on the good 'ol days!

      Delete