Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, December 13, 2021

Russian Sage

I have a Russian sage plant growing near my hot tub. 

Russian sage is not a true sage and is not in the family of our ever-present sagebrush, either.  Sage is an outdoor ornamental plant—a hardy one at that.  This ornamental is not opposed to dry and hot summers and cold winters.

Russian sage blooms in the heat of summer and it blooms for an extended time.  When in full-bloom, the plant resembles lavender, but the flower color leans a little harder on purple than lavender does.

Bees love it.

The most distinctive feature about Russian Sage, though, is the aroma.  If the scent of a rose is like a woman singing an alluring song of love, the scent of Russian sage is a full-on marching band surrounding you. 

We are talking loud here.

Rubbing either the leaves or flowers of sage into your palm will produce powerful waves of sensation.  “Big medicine,” I call it.  The scent is sharp, but earthy, and, in my mind, pleasant.

The other day, I cut down the dead stalks from this year’s growth.  That, too, enveloped me with big medicine.  My final sensation of summer.



Russian Sage

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment