Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Melting Ice (Then and Now)

One wintery morning many years ago, a coworker opened a conversation (somewhat excitedly) with this: “Hey, Mitch, have you ever listened to ice melting?”

I stood there blinking for a few moments.   “No, Rodney, I can’t say that I have.”

“It’s way more awesome than you might think.”

“I’m sure it is…”  I blinked a few more times.  “So, what are you talking about?”

Rodney leaned in.  “I threw some ice melt on my sidewalk and then stood there listening.  It makes weird sounds when it melts the ice.  You need to try it sometime.”

“Sure thing, buddy,” I said in amusement.

Cut now to yesterday afternoon.

No, I didn’t listen to ice melt.  But I did do the next weirdest thing.  I watched ice melting off the glass in my sunroom.  And, yes, I am going to say this: “Watching ice melt is far more entertaining than you might think.”

I have posted three photographs of the melting ice as seen from my sunroom.





Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment