Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, December 25, 2021

A Christmas Story

I received an incredible Christmas present this year.  I am talking about a gift so desirable a movie was made about it.  You have likely watched the movie: A Christmas Story.

If you have never watched A Christmas Story, you have an opportunity today.  TBS and TNT will be airing the movie repeatedly throughout the day today, as has become a Christmas tradition.

In the movie, Ralphie, the main character, wants an authentic Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle for Christmas.  It’s a big deal.  The entire story revolves around Ralphie’s desire for the air rifle.

Last summer, the Wedll family spent a couple days with me at the cabin.  The kids brought along their Red Ryder air rifles.  We spent a good part of our time setting up and pinking down aluminum cans, empty juice boxes, and a plastic jug.

Red Rider rifles are surpassingly accurate and I sincerely enjoyed target shooting with the BB guns.  I mentioned I might need to get one for myself.

The other day, I received a message from the Wedll’s that I needed to stop by and fetch a Christmas present they had gotten for me.  I picked up my gift on the 23rd.   I laughed when Becky handed me a long and thin wrapped package.  “I know what that is!” I told her.

Yep.  My very own Red Ryder.

Today, I got a chance to hold my new rifle.

Thank you, Carolyn, Jack, and Nick!  You have made me one very happy kid!



The Gift Fully Wrapped



My Red Ryder Air Rifle

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment