Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, December 18, 2021

Sometimes, You Need a Kevin

To the best of my knowledge, the first Kevin was fashioned by Leo St. Clair in the 1960s.  For anyone unfamiliar, a Kevin is a device used to hold one end of something in place while you work on the other end.

The first generation of Kevins was, literally, Kevin.  Leo would enlist his son, Kevin to help him hold something in place while he measured or fastened it in place.

When the real Kevin was not available, Leo took to making various widgets to hold in place all manner of building materials or mechanical contrivances.  

I tend to do a lot of building projects by myself.  I have learned to make a few Kevins of my own.

For the last couple days, I have been installing the metal soffit material inside my sunroom.  The ten-foot lengths of J-channel are impossible to hold in place while fastening at one end (as is necessary for a proper fit).

I needed a Kevin to hold the lengths in position.  Additionally, the Kevin needed to allow me to shift the metal back and forth a little.

Today, I am posting photographs of my Kevin.

Simple, but it works.



My Kevin



My Kevin in Place

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment