Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, December 23, 2021

My Hoya is Making a Move

My hoya plant originated by means of a start clipped from a plant my grandmother brought into her home in the 1940’s.  Over the last thirty-some years, the hoya has grown at a relatively slow pace.

Something over a year ago, the plant accelerated in growth.  Runners reached out from the plant and attempted twining around anything within reach.  To “manage” the plant. I provided a few temporary footholds on the trim around the nearest window.

The hoya eagerly latched onto the footholds and wove itself into a leafy mat.

In just the last few of days, the plant has made more conspicuous moves.  New tendrils have reached out.  One of the tendrils seems to be seeking to grab me as I sit on my sofa.  That tendril has reached nearly three feet out into the air.

When I fully complete the sunroom, I intend to provide a lattice for the hoya there.  The rate of growth I am seeing now is impressive.  I worry the hoya might reach into the sunroom before I am finished with it.



My Hoya



Tendril Reaching Out

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment