Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, December 26, 2021

Emergency Toy Repair

My sister gave me a set of Magic Tracks (with a car) for Christmas.  The track glows in the dark and is appropriate for me because it is intended for kids ages 3+.  Unfortunately, after assembling the track and installing batteries in the car, I could not get the car to run.

When my brother-in-law, Terry, arrived at my house at midday, I retrieved a few tools and a digital multimeter so we could troubleshoot the car.

The problem was obviously electrical.  Between the two of us we had a fighting chance to fix the car.  We have reasonable skills.  Terry worked as phone company technician.   I was an electrician.

After a few minutes of poking at the car, it started running when I attempted taking a voltage measurement across the batteries.  We soon discovered a poor connection point at the end of one of the batteries.  The car would run if I forced the battery against the terminal with the test probe of my meter.

“Something is goofy,” I said, “the battery won’t connect.”

“Tin foil,” Terry suggested.  “Maybe a wad of foil at the battery terminal so we can make a connection.”

“Brilliant!”

NASA and Apollo 13 have nothing on us.

Ten minutes later, my little car was performing victory laps—thanks to a tiny wad of foil.



Working on the Car

Victory Lap Video

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment