Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Montana Weather Report

Montana is known for bonkers weather changes.  Perhaps you recall that time in January of 1980 when the temperature at the Great Falls International Airport rose from -32°F to 15°F degrees in only seven minutes as warm chinook winds cut through an Arctic airmass.  And little ol’ Loma, Montana, still holds the U.S. record for a 24-hour temperature swing.  There, on January 15, 1972, another chinook event forced a temperature rise from 54°F to 49°F.  That’s a 103°F shift in readings.

That is pretty crazy stuff.  Or, as we like to say in my hometown of East Helena, Montana: “Dammit!”

Over recent weeks, we have been ping-ponging between fall and winter.  I am confused.  The lake is confused (freeze, or not freeze).  Trees are confused.  Bugs are particularly confounded.

When temperatures rise into the forties, some of the local flying insects will emerge from hiding in our snowbound landscapes and take a spin around.  We ascended into the forties yesterday.  When I stepped outside late in the afternoon, I spotted a fly zipping toward me in the warmish air.  Before I could think “I’ll be darned,” the fly crashed full-speed into my forehead.

It’s a hard and confusing life around here this time of year.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment