Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, November 9, 2020

My Blue Jays

Up until two years ago, I had never seen a blue jay here in Montana.  At present, I have four of them visiting my bird feeder.

The term “visiting” may not accurately describe what takes place.  All jays are by nature obnoxious—something along the lines of pre-teen boys at a swimming pool.  You can expect lots of noise and lots of splashing around.

My blue jays flare down around my feeder like harrier jets; often dispersing any juncos or LBJs (little brown jobs) that have arrived before them.  On the ground, they bop and quirk around as if spring-loaded.  On occasion one will perch in my nearby linden tree and jeer at me.

But, man, are they pretty!

I am not certain why the blue jays have suddenly established a presence here.  The range of blue jays is generally confined to the Eastern half of the U.S.  That said, a few maps of their range do show an arm of nonbreeding blue jays reaching into Montana.

Most certainly, they are here.  Interestingly, my magpie regulars are not opposed to hanging out with them.  Perhaps we might glean a message from that.



Mitchell Hegman

PHOTO: https://www.courierpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment