Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, November 27, 2020

Thanksgiving Dinner with Miss Desiree

I celebrated a non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner yesterday.  By “non-traditional” I mean exceptionally unusual but, in the same breath, lovely.

I spent much of my day, listening to reggae music and converting film slides from my 1985 trip to China to JPEG so my computer can eat them.  I also dialed out and accepted a host of phone calls, and walked down to the lake just to stare down into the water.

Happy Thanksgiving!

In the late afternoon, Miss Desiree video-called from her Friday morning in the Philippines, half-a-planet away.

Desiree wanted to help prepare my food and then attend my small, celebratory Thanksgiving dinner.  Her first such celebration.  This, again, by means of a video call on my smarter-than-me-phone.

My meal consisted of the following:

  • A not-so-wee dram of Glenlivet Scotch (aged 18 years)
  • Spaghetti squash cooked in the microwave and seasoned with pesto
  • Curly’s precooked baby back pork ribs reheated outside on the grill
  • A slice of huckleberry pie I made earlier (from berries I picked in August)     

A fine meal.  And, sincerely, in the spirit of our Thanksgiving, a satisfying celebration across miles that don’t hold us quite as far apart as once they did.

Much love, to all of you: Des, family, friends!



Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment