Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, November 8, 2020

What Kind of World?

Reggae music originated in Jamaica during the late 1960s.  According to Wikipedia: Stylistically, reggae incorporates some of the musical elements of rhythm and blues, jazz, mento (a celebratory, rural folk form that served its largely rural audience as dance music and an alternative to the hymns and adapted chanteys of local church singing), calypso, and also draws influence from traditional African folk rhythms.

That’s a lot.  I can’t successfully interpret what all l of the means, but can say this—the offbeat rhythms generated by Reggae drill directly into the soul of me.  No other genre of music will set me to motion the way Reggae does.  I immediately begin swaying upon hearing a pure Reggae song.

Mo’ Kalamity is a French singer-songwriter and Reggae artist.  She is, for me, a recent discovery.  I have selected one of her songs to represent Reggae.

Mitchell Hegman

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=943vSCrQARA

No comments:

Post a Comment