Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Your Name and Your Number

In the broader scheme of things, your name is a poor tag for your identity.  An uncommon name might help.  Or, you might give yourself a single moniker that boldly stands above the rest: Sting, for example.

But what if you are among the 40-some-thousand John Smiths living here in these United States of America?

You will need a number.  A Social Security Number. 

I got to thinking about this last night.  As a distinctly non-famous person, my name is of little use beyond the spacious valley in which I live.  For business purposes and legal purposes, I need my number.

Funny thing about that.  Even though this is your best identity, you must keep it secret for fear of fraudulent use.

A sort of paradox, then.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment