Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, July 9, 2021

Another Lesson Learned

After nearly thirty years working on construction sites, I dropped my tools and settled into the office of an apprenticeship training facility.  It did not take me long to discover an unexpected difference between the work environments.  Put plainly, people working outside the construction world don’t operate with any sense of urgency.

I soon discovered I needed to prod people in other “office” environments to get things done.  I found myself sending out a lot of “reminder” emails and placing a lot of follow-up phone calls.

I was truly shocked by this.

As we brought in new people from the field and plunked them in our office, I gave them this advice: “Don’t expect to get things done as you do on the construction site.  People on this side of the door are not in a hurry.  You might need to push a little more.”

I suppose the difference in responsiveness makes sense.  In the construction world, we usually operated on a strict timeline for project completion.  And everyone associated with a project shared the same goal and the same timeline.

To successfully bring a building up from the ground, you need answers as soon as questions arise.

Bottom line: You can’t stand around waiting for answers and get something done at the same time.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment