Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, July 4, 2021

Hole in the Wall

Early yesterday morning, in preparation for fully enclosing my sunroom addition with glass, I got to do the most satisfying task for the entire project.  Using a Sawzall and a skill saw, I sawed a hole in the wall where, thirty years ago, I framed the rough opening for the door.

Between the plywood sheathing, a framing stud, and polyurethane foam, the section of wall I carved out held together remarkably well.  Kicking the chunk of wall free felt surprisingly good.  I giggled as I peered out through the hole after I shouldered the mass free.

After successfully opening the wall, I used the section of wall to temporarily seal the opening again.  I fastened the chunk back in place with a few screws and then stapled cardboard over that to better stop the inflow outside air.  I can easily remove the section just before the glass seals out all other access to the room.

I would have loved this stuff at the age of eight or nine.  And, actually, it feels pretty good now.



Hole From the Inside



Hole From the Outside



Hole Replaced and Covered with Cardboard

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment