Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, July 8, 2021

The Sight of Me is Scary

For the first few weeks of life, fawn deer are well camouflaged and almost odorless.  Given these traits, they instinctively lie motionless on the ground if spooked or in the vicinity of a predator.  I have approached within three feet of a fawn in this state.

After a few weeks, fawns replace this defense strategy with a polar opposite one: panicked flights to safety when feeling threatened.

Yesterday, I learned what really spooks this highly mobile type of fawn.  Apparently, the sounds of construction are not of much concern to fawn mule deer, but the sight of a certain Mitch Hegman initiates wholesale panic.

After working on a few of my sunroom’s framing details for a couple hours (running a skill saw, hammering, operating a drill), I stepped around the corner of my house, less than ten feet away from my work, and found twin mule deer fawns bedded down alongside the house.  

While the noise I made when framing had not troubled the fawns, one sight of me caused what can only be described as a fawn deer explosion.  One of the twins jumped away to the north.  The other bounced off to the south and stopped at a distance to evaluate me before a final flight away.

I managed a photograph with my smartphone before the fawn veered away.



 

A Fawn Deer Pausing After Bouncing Away from Me

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment