Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

The Sky Has Gone Quiet

From twilight to sunrise, I watch the sky and I listen.

From sunset to dusk, I watch the sky and listen.

But my sky has gone empty and has gone quiet.

The nighthawks did not return to my summer skies this year.   I have seen none in their quirky and veering flights as they pluck insects from midair.  I have not heard their shrill calls or the “booming” as they practice deep plunges from the heights.

I have nothing.

Last year, I saw only a half-dozen nighthawks throughout the summer.

When I first settled into my country home, the summer sky here regularly filled with dozens upon dozens of nighthawks during the half-light hours bookending each side of the day.

For the last twenty years, nighthawks have been vanishing from our skies at an alarmingly rapid pace.  I am not alone watching empty skies.

Many years ago, I read articles about this day coming.  The reasons for the sharp decline in nighthawk populations are many and, of course, there is a human hand in the works here.

I find the silence frightening. 

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment