Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, March 17, 2023

Desiree and the Chickadee

Three chickadees hung around my house throughout the long winter.  Some weeks ago, I started feeding them crushed walnuts on a near daily basis.  Rather than using a birdfeeder, which lures in more birds than I care to deal with, I place handfuls of nuts on the brick ledge around my house whenever I see the chickadees flitting about.

One chickadee is particularly bold and will readily land on my hand to pick up a morsel to eat.  That particular bird also makes a point of fluttering up and landing somewhere nearby me when I am outside for any reason.

The other day when I stepped outside while carrying a bucket in my right hand, the chickadee looped around my head and then landed on the rim of the bucket as I held it by my side.

“You must need breakfast,” I said to the bird.  “Hang on, I’ll get you something.”  When the chickadee fluttered off and dropped onto the brick ledge a few feet away, I trotted back in the house to get a handful of walnuts.

Desiree also enjoys feeding the chickadees.  I have posted a photograph of our bold chickadee friend taking a walnut from her hand.



Desiree and the Chickadee

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment